Here’s my honest review of American Writers and Artists, Inc.
Business Name: American Writers and Artists, Inc.
Executive Director: Katie Yeakle
Business location: Delray Beach, FL
AWAI offers a no-risk, 100% satisfaction guarantee – 30 day expiration.
My opinion: AWAI is a legitimate business, and not a scam. If you’re interested in a copywriting career, then this platform is a good choice. It’s just not for me.
My relationship with AWAI.
To be honest, I don’t have one. I clicked on an ad from a site I don’t remember and received some of their advertising. I also did receive several follow-up emails from the business a couple of months ago soliciting me to sign up for their main course “The Accelerated Program for Six-Figure Copywriting.”
All advertising materials are professionally done and are a credit to the basic theme of the training.
The emails, and the original ad, contained testimonials from successful copywriters and were interesting and persuasive, which is a good thing for any business, in my opinion.
I admit that my interest was tweaked, and I wanted to find out more, so I checked out the website. I found the site to be pretty much upfront and not deceptive. You can access a complete course catalog, among other things. Much of the information I listed below on why I didn’t sign up I got from the course catalog. As I said, I didn’t join, so I’m an outsider looking in. I’ll explain why I didn’t join in a minute.
What does a copywriter do?
First, what is copywriting? From what I learned, copywriting is the process, some call it an “art” or “science,” of writing content aimed at getting someone to respond in some manner, whether it’s buying a product or taking some other form of action. The most common form is the sales letter.
So, a copywriter is the person who writes those persuasive sales letters that businesses use to get customers to buy, whether it’s a mail circular or an online letter. The letters usually are fairly long.
Who should take advantage of this training?
If you want to make money online, either by blogging or by being a copywriter, but your writing skills are deficient, this is a good place to learn. Also, for those who have english as a second language, and want to become smoother and more persuasive in their writing abilities, this course will help.
AWAI has 3 program levels
Level 1 is the main course advertised, called The Accelerated Program for Six-Figure Copywriting. It’s advertised to give you the tools and skills you need to succeed as a copywriter. The price of the course is $497.
Level 2 is called the Professional Writer’s Alliance. This level is advertised to “surround you with other copywriting professionals” and, according to the course catalog, give you access to:
– an “inner circle of experts”
– Up to the minute news in the industry
– AWAI staff and Advisory Board members
– Global Publishers marketers
– Free perks and guaranteed lowest prices on AWAI resources. The price of this level is an initial payment of $58, then $58 per month thereafter.
Level 3 is the Circle of Success. I’m not sure what this level entails, but from my research it’s expensive. It’s price tag is $7,500.
If it’s a legit business, why didn’t I sign up?
First, yes, it is a legit business. Why didn’t I enroll?
1. I would actively have to get my own clients, and to me it seemed like it would be difficult to break in, at least initially.
2. I would have to write my best sales letters for my clients, every time, even if I didn’t like the product or agree with it. I could see ethical problems. My work would be subject to approval from my client.
3. Who owns the things I write? Since I am being paid for the copy, it belongs to the client. I can’t re-use it.
4. Additional training is very expensive. Examples:
- 10-minute Workday – $250
- How to Write Your Own Money-Making Websites – $497
- How to Build email lists – $197
- Email Copy Made Easy – $497
- Content Mastery – Your Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming a Highly Paid Content Marketing Strategist – $497
- How to Make Money as a Social Media Marketing Expert – $497
- The Masters Program for Six-Figure Copywriting – advertised as the follow-up to the
- Accelerated Program. This program is advertised as the next logical step to the Accelerated Program to Six-Figure Copywriting, and offers more strategies used by “Master Copywriters,” (names are listed) to produce winning sales copy consistently. Course price – $1150
After doing my research, I realized that just the first course offered wouldn’t get me to the six-figure income advertised. Otherwise, why would there be so many other courses offered? That’s a lot of upsells. I would have to invest in a lot more learning and training. If I took advantage of the courses and training that is supposed to get me to that six-figure income, i will have invested (spent) over $5000, not including the Circle of Success. How long would it take me to earn back that investment? No idea. Could be a couple of months, could be a couple of years, or longer. It would depend on if I’m able to become a good copywriter, and if I’m good at getting clients.
So that’s my take. I’m not trying to steer people away from AWAI. Just do your research before you decide. If it’s what you think you will be good at, take the plunge.
Thanks for reading my review. If you would like information on an alternative training program for on online business, one that you can start for free, take a look at Wealthy Affiliate. You can find my review of Wealthy Affiliate HERE