Pinterest And What It Can Do For You
If we try to rely on SEO only to build traffic, it will take quite a long time. Search engines like consistent new content and an established site before rankings begin to improve. People won’t find your site until you begin to rank high on the list of searched sites.
There is a way, though, to speed up the traffic building process, and that’s using social media. There are numerous social media platforms out there to take advantage of. Several come to mind.
There are many more. This post is only going to discuss one social media platform, Pinterest. I’ll have to admit up front that I’m not an expert on using PInterest. I’ve only been using it for a few months. There’s a lot I don’t know. Even so, I think that I can offer some insight from the things I have learned from a new user perspective that will be of value.
Why Do We Use Social Media?
There are millions of people on social media. Not all are there for business purposes. For those who are, the whole purpose for becoming involved in social media, from a business perspective, is to attract visitors to our websites. It’s not to tell people about our new puppy, or the cute thing our grandchild did, it’s to get people to find our websites. It’s the same with Pinterest. Our goal with Pinterest is to get pinners to click through a pin to our website, and ultimately make a purchase. Here are some tips on using Pinterest for your business.
1. When you set up your Pinterest account, make it a business account. Keep SEO in mind. You may not know it, but Pinterest is more than a social media site. It’s also a search engine. It uses a formula called Pinterest Smart Feed that uses factors such as image quality, pin source, and keywords in pins to rank your pins. It stands to reason, then, that you should place keywords within Pinterest to improve your rank. Good locations for these keywords are:
- Your business name
- Your user name
- Your “About Me” description
- Descriptions of your pins
- Words in your images
- Your board names
- Your board descriptions
As with any other search engine, Pinterest likes keywords!
2. Have lots of boards. At least 10 or 12. You can have as many boards as you want, and sub-boards, that reflect your interests, but you should keep your potential clients in mind and tailor your pins and boards to attract the interest of the type of visitor that may purchase what you offer. When you do, your followers will increase and so will your re-pin numbers.
Also, whey you re-pin the pins of others, choose pins that target your potential customers.
3. It’s an important key to success to add relevant text to the pictures you pin. When you write a post, use images that are Pinterest friendly. Pinterest likes long, tall pictures more than “landscape” images. When you save a post to Pinterest, edit your post with text that will attract re-pinners and visitors to your site.
It’s a good idea to add text directly to the image. You can do this using Canva. As you browse Pinterest, you will see many images with text on them. They pin well.
4. Invite people to explore your boards and your website. Your presence on Pinterest will improve as more and more people click on your pins and read your posts. Some will visit your website, and some of those will become your customers. We like to add a “call to action” in our posts. We can do the same to our pins. Don’t leave out this important step.
People like to be told what to do next, so give them direction. Phrases like “Visit my website for more information,” or “Leave your email address and I will send you a free ebook on widgets,” will get people to take the action you request. Be a politician without the corruption. Ask for their vote.
5. When you are writing a blog post, keep Pinterest in mind and make your post compatible with the platform, so pinners can easily find your posts and continue on to your site.
What’s Your Online Business About?
Mine’s about affiliate marketing. It’s a great way to start a business on the internet because you can market other people’s products and get paid commissions for sales. You don’t have to stock any inventory, worry about returns and refunds, and shipping. All that is handled by the business selling the product.
There are hundreds if not thousands of companies that have affiliate programs. One of the biggest is Amazon. They partner with affiliates all the time and pay commissions for products sold through the websites of their affiliates.
So, are YOU interested in affiliate marketing? If you are, do you know how to go about getting started?
As with anything, the internet has lots of information for you, and there are lots of training platforms for affiliate marketing available. Some are great, some are not so great.
My recommendation is Wealthy Affiliate. I’ve been a member for a year now, and I’ve had time to check out the training and the platform, and in my opinion, there isn’t a better training site anywhere on the web.
And, the great thing about Wealthy Affiliate is that they let you sign up for FREE, and your first 10 lessons in the Starter Program are FREE too. Don’t you think that’s a pretty good deal?
Well, it gets better. Wealthy Affiliate will give you two FREE websites to get you started! FREE sign up, FREE lessons, and FREE websites. What more could you ask for?
The great thing about starting for free and taking a look at the training is that it gives you the chance to decide if you want to have your own affiliate marketing business before you invest any money. If you don’t want to continue, you can leave the program without having spent a dime.
If you want to continue and take more training, there are several more levels of training available to take you to your goals. There are several reviews of Wealthy Affiliate online to take a look at. Here’s mine.
The important thing is to get started. Click on the banner and it will take you to the free sign-up page. Do it NOW!
Disclosure: The FTC wants me to inform my readers that if they click on an affiliate link in one of my blogs and then purchase a product, I will be paid a commission. This commission does not increase the price of the product you purchase. That’ how affiliate marketing works!
Thanks for reading my post. I hope you found it informative and helpful. Please leave me a comment below and I’ll get back to you.