As the title of this post asks, what defines a good leader?
Are you in a leadership position? Do you have people under you that you are trying to guide, and to get them to follow you?
What I’m going to do in this post is list eleven important factors in leadership as defined by Napoleon Hill in his work “Think and Grow Rich,” published way back in 1937. Even though it was written 80 years ago, It’s a book that is worth reading and applying even today for anyone who wants to succeed in life.
So, what are the qualities of leadership that Mr. Hill found important? Here’s the list.
1. UNWAVERING COURAGE, which is based on knowing yourself and your occupation. If you are timid or lack self confidence, people will not want to follow you.
2. SELF CONTROL. If you cannot control yourself and your emotions, how can you control others? Followers can see your example of self control and will want to emulate you.
3. A KEEN SENSE OF JUSTICE. If you are not fair and just with others, they will neither respect nor trust you.
4. DECISIVENESS. Don’e waver in your decisions. Show that you are sure of yourself.
5. HAVE A DEFINITE PLAN. As the old saying goes, “plan your work and work your plan.” You can’t work by guesswork successfully.
6. DO MORE THAN JUST WHAT’S REQUIRED. Be willing to go the extra mile for your company, and for your followers. If you are the leader, you should require more from yourself than you do from your followers.
7. DON’T BE A JERK. Have a pleasing personality. Be kind to those both above and below you.
8. SYMPATHY AND UNDERSTANDING. To be a good leader, you need to understand your followers and be sympathetic to their needs and problems.
9. MASTERY OF DETAIL. You can’t just say you’re a “big picture person.” You need to know what’s going on.
10. WILLINGNESS TO ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY. If you pass the blame of failure onto your followers, you are not much of a leader. You need to assume the responsibility for the mistakes of your followers, and then teach and train them to overcome the mistakes.
11. COOPERATION. Leadership calls for power, and power calls for cooperation. If you can get followers to cooperate, then you can lead them.
Can you use these qualities if you aren’t in a leadership role?
Sure you can. They’re good qualities to have, and you can always lead yourself. The qualities listed above are what make up a good character. I’m sure you probably have most if not all of them yourself. If you do have them, you will stand out above the crowd. You will be more successful, and you will be happier. That’s a good thing, right?
Personally, I’m at a time in my life where I don’t need to be a leader, because I’m retired, but I still want to have a good character. You don’t retire from being a good person, do you?
Thinking about it, I guess I’m in a leadership position in my church, so the qualities apply there.
While we’re on the subject, there are 2 kinds of leadership.
The first is Leadership by Consent.
This is listed first because it’s the best, and the most lasting. If your followers consent to your leadership, you are in a stable relationship that is, or can be, beneficial to everyone.
The second is Leadership by Force.
This is not good leadership, and no explanation is needed as to why. History is strewn with stories of leaders who tried to lead by force. They’re called dictators. Or kings. Eventually they all fail. The people rebel, and refuse to follow such leaders. Don’t try to be one of those leaders.
Here’s an interesting question. Can you be a leader on the internet?
I think the short answer is YES. You can influence people online even if you don’t see them face to face. The qualities still apply.
Take Wealthy Affiliate, for instance. I joined about 6 months ago, and I’ve met hundreds of people who display good leadership qualities in their posts, their advice, how they answer questions, and more.
I found Wealthy Affiliate while I was looking for a good, legitimate platform to get trained on how to use the internet for business.
It’s free to join, and the first 10 lessons in the Starter Package are free too. Plus you get 2 free websites. There’s no obligation whatsoever.
Like I said, I was looking for good training, so I joined.
In less than a week I upgraded to the Premium (paid) plan. I haven’t regretted it. I don’t think that you will find a better training platform than Wealthy Affiliate anywhere on the web, or at a better price. You can read my review of Wealthy Affiliate here.
Are YOU looking at starting your own business online? If you are, check out Wealthy Affiliate NOW! It won’t cost you anything, and could be your first step to riches!
I hope you enjoyed my post. Please leave a comment if you did. Thanks.